Temporary partnership visa (Subclasses 309 or 820)

Join or bring your partner!

Under the Partner Visa Stream, applicants who are married, engaged or are in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, may be eligible for a grant of an Australian partner visa.

partner visa australiaAustralian Temporary partner visa (Sc 309 or Sc 820)

This temporary Australian Partner visa (Subclasses 309 or 820) is the first step before a permanent partner visa (Sc 100 or Sc 801) can be granted. Although there is usually a 2-year timeframe between the temporary and the permanent visas, you may be granted residence straight after the temporary one if you have been together for 3 years or more, or 2 years or more, providing there is also dependent child from your relationship.

Do I need a Registered Migration Agent to help?

Because the success of your application is based on a thorough preparation and review of the eligibility criteria, and particularly the evidence of relationship, it is recommended to have your application prepared by a registered migration agent to ensure you will meet Australia immigration requirements and avoid costly disappointment.

Take our assessment


What is the process?

In order to be eligible for this visa, the applicant must be in a genuine and stable relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand resident.

OFFSHORE Partner visa (Subclass 309)

Subclass 309 is a provisional visa granted from offshore to allow you to travel to Australia to be with your partner until your  permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) application is decided.

ONSHORE Partner visa (Subclass 820)

Subclass 820 Partner visa (temporary) is applied for if you are currently in Australia. It allows you to live in Australia with your partner until your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) application is decided.

Holders of a temporary partner visa can

  • stay in Australia until the decision on the permanent Partner visa (Sc 100 or Sc 801) is made
  • work in Australia for any employer and study in Australia as an international student
  • travel to and from Australia without limitations
  • if eligible, attend English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program at no cost
  • receive free or subsidised health care at publicly funded health services (Medicare)
General criteria
Costs & timeframes
Our service

Find out about us and our range of services.
Find out more


Discover the main Australian visa options.
Find out more

Eligibility assessment

Take our online visa eligibility assessment.
Find out more


Contact our team of Registered Migration Agents.
Find out more